Friday, March 9, 2012

PHIL FLOWERS - You Little Devil / The Cleopatra - Jose-909 - 1963


I heard the b-side to this record first and loved it so much, I never flipped it over. So I decided to include "You Little Devil" since today is the first time I've ever actually listened to it and it's not too bad. Mr. Flowers' delivery of the opening vocal line, "There are rumors in town..." is my favorite part. There's also a pretty amazingly sloppy fill that kicks into the bridge that I now enjoy playing air-drums to. Other than that though, "Cleopatra" is where it's at.

"Cleopatra" is genius on a number of levels. It's about a queen that bathes in milk and uses her power of thrown to start a dance craze: "Get out on the floor, put your arms out straight/Now shake your head just like a cobra snake...!" The slow hypnotic instrumentation almost sounds like a cobra snake. And for some reason I can't help but follow her orders.

You can also hear "Cleopatra" on Episode 4 of our podcast.

YOU LITTLE DEVIL


THE CLEOPATRA


[KB]

No comments: